Youth Confirmation is a one year process during which a teen is nourished in the Catholic faith and deepens his/her relationship with Godthrough prayers, service, celebration of the sacraments and learning the teachings of the Catholic Church. It is a precious period when teens recognize and discover clearly the gifts of the Holy Spirit in order to live their lives worthily and announce the Good News of Christ Jesus to others.
· Baptized Catholic who has celebrated 1 st Eucharist
· Grades 8 through 12
· Registered in the parish (or with permission of pastor)
· Able to commit to all classes and activities from August to the end of May (Only a limited number of excused absences are permitted in order to complete in one year)
Teens participate in the 11:30 Mass each Sunday, attend class from 10:00am to 12:30pm approximately two Sundays a month (includes Mass), and participate in community service. Through this combination of community and catechesis, worship and service, the Confirmation candidates should:
· Engage in a continual process of conversion to enable full and active participation in the life of the Church with ever-growing depth.
· Develop a personal relationship with Jesus Christ by meeting with Jesus in the Scriptures, in the life and teachings of the Catholic Church, in the sacraments, and in their own prayer lives.
· Respond to God’s call to holiness.
· Discern their gifts and talents to serve God’s people.
“Our faith calls us to work for justice; to serve those in need; to pursue peace; and to defend the life, dignity, and rights of all our sisters and brothers. This is the call of Jesus, the urging of his Spirit, the challenge of the prophets, and the living Tradition of the Church.” (USCC, 1997, p.37) Teens have an opportunity to serve the needy in community and experience the mission of Jesus Christ. They must complete at least 15 hours of service and write a reflection.
One of the most transformative parts of our faith life as Catholics is the celebration of the Mass together every Sunday. Our Confirmation candidates are encouraged to serve our parishioners through participation in the weekend Masses as altar servers, ushers, choir members and lectors especially at 11:30am youth Mass. These ministries help unite the importance of the Mass with a ministry of service to our church.
Complete a registration form (available online or in the parish office), or contact:
Youth Ministry Coordinator
COMMITMENT FORMS ARE BELOW: